gpg-agent was Re: system rebooted for no apparent reason

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.com
Sun Mar 11 00:44:02 PST 2012

On 03/10/12 19:28, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> I installed pinentry-qt4 and added the lines to the conf files, but I'm not
> sure what to do about X. The instructions assume that I start KDE by logging
> into the console and typing "startx". I use kdm, and I'd like it to work
> whether I log into KDE (my usual) or XFCE (something doesn't work, but it's
> probably fixed in the new quarterly). Where do I put the gpg-agent command?

You'll have to either customize your KDM session scripts for KDE & XFCE
to launch this (see the KDM docs), start it from a terminal with
an active gpg-agent, or hack up a KMail start script which starts
it first and  connect your menu items to that instead of KMail directly.

Xdm has a hook to run ~/.xsession rather than changing the system
wide scripts - this might work here - or if not there might be
some KDM analogue. Not a KDE user so not 100%

Basically, whatever process starts KMail will need to have the environment
variable settings generated by the gpg-agent, wherever that falls in the
sequence of inherited environment vars

Cheers,

- Chris