Anyone know how to get bitcoin to compile?

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Tue Mar 20 17:55:48 PDT 2012

I'd like to run bitcoin. I have a Linux laptop with a working bitcoin install,
but I'd rather not keep my main wallet on my laptop, so I'd like to run
bitcoin on my DFly desktop. So I gitted it from
git://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.git and tried to compile. I got two
completely different errors, both related to where packages install files.

The bitcoind program uses boost, and the makefile couldn't find it. Instead of
CMakeLists.txt or a configure script, there's a makefile.unix which is supposed
to work for all Unices, but doesn't. The include files are in
/usr/pkg/include/boost/, and the makefile doesn't know to look in /usr/pkg/.

The GUI program uses Qt (a welcome change from the first version I tried to
install, which used a future version of some GUI library that I had to
install, and couldn't get right). I had to add /usr/pkg/qt4/bin to the path to
get qmake to run, and it failed to find QMainWindow and other include files.

I asked on the IRC channel #bitcoin-dev and was denigrated for running an
obscure operating system and not knowing how to get things to run on it. I
know how to make my own programs run on it, but I don't have any GUI projects.
I used to use autotools (in KDevelop) and now use CMake; I don't write
makefiles and expect them to run on other systems, except for POV-Ray projects
or Forth programs or things like that.

Could someone who knows how to port GUI programs talk with the Bitcoin people
and figure this out? The short-term solution would be to write a makefile.pkgsrc
that works on NetBSD and DragonFly. The best long-term solution, I think,
would be to convert the whole build process to CMake. I've compiled Vidalia,
which is a CMake and Qt project, on DragonFly with no problem.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji