bulk build was: computer hung

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Tue Jun 5 13:59:53 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 05 June 2012 16:15:15 Justin Sherrill wrote:
> You're still going to end up building 12,500 packages.  The -q option
> just doesn't update the pkgsrc files, which makes the startup time a
> bit shorter.  You are going down the wrong path for what you want to
> do.

No I'm not. What I want to do is build all the packages, so that anyone who
wants to upgrade can do so easily. What is the correct way to restart a bulk
build where it left off? Who's going to build the packages for 2012Q2, since
your computer has crashed?

> If you want to rebuild your python packages, write down the ones you
> have installed, remove the ones you have now, and reinstall.  You may
> be able to to do this with a few commands with pkg_chk.

I have no idea what they do; they must have been installed as dependencies of
something else. I don't know why the default was switched to 2.7. I do know
that upgrading with pkgin is easy and takes a few hours, while upgrading with
pkg_rolling-replace takes weeks and is prone to failure, and the system is
hosed, as far as running some programs is concerned, while it's upgrading.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci