pkgsrc repository is now frozen

Alistair Crooks agc at pkgsrc.org
Sat Jun 16 17:21:16 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

We have "frozen" the pkgsrc repository in preparation for the
pkgsrc-2012Q2 branch.  What this means is that no new pkgsrc entries
will be added, and no changes will be made to the infrastructure
(except for one, see below).

The freeze is expected to last no longer than 2 weeks.  At the end of
that, we will have a brand, new, shiny pkgsrc branch, with updated
packages for everyone to use and enjoy.  Pkgsrc has a branch every 3
months, and this is our way of staying current with newer versions of
packages.

We have still to fix up the functionality relating to shared
libraries, and a diff will be sent to the mailing lists for review and
comment before it is committed to the tree.

Some background - in the past, we have found that quiescing the whole
tree in this way, and branching at the end of a short period, means
that our attention is absolutely focussed on what will become the
branch, and that people are motivated to help out with fixing broken
packages (where a broken package is defined as one that does not
manage to fetch/configure/build/install and deinstall cleanly)

We expect regular bulk builds to take place on various platforms.