DragonFly GUI desktop at work - not bad at all

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 03:57:22 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
> On 7/20/2012 20:53, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Stéphane Russell
>>
>> Complaining is important, but contributing platform support patches
>> (if you have the skills) would possibly be a better choice, wouldn't it?
>>

> Besides that statement also applying to yourself, the answer is no.  The BSD
> community simply will not accept the substandard replacements of BSD
> functionality that Linux is adding to gnome.

I don't use any of the DEs. So, I don't really have an itch, sorry.

> In other words, the functionality is already on BSD, Linux people are
> reinventing the wheel, and coming up with a worse product.  The BSD folks

I'm new to BSDs again after a hiatus of approximately 12 years.
Therefore excuse my knowledge gap. What functionality are you referring to?
Is it something that also already exists in the Linux world but is reinvented?

> will just stick with what they have as it's better.  That's one of the
> issues and no amount of patch skills is going to fix that.  It's a
> philosophical difference.
>
> "Lennart Poettering: BSD isn't relevant anymore"
> http://bsd.slashdot.org/story/11/07/16/0020243/Lennart-Poettering-BSD-Isnt-Relevant-Anymore
> Slashdot sensationalism, but basically gnome doesn't care if it's
> BSD-friendly or not and it's diverging to the point of no compatibility.

While that's true, from what I read they do welcome patches to support
the new "stack" on other platforms. It's true though that their focus
has changed with more work going into adding layers of plumbing.