DragonFly GUI desktop at work - not bad at all

Stéphane Russell srussell at prodigeinfo.qc.ca
Fri Jul 20 08:12:03 PDT 2012

Wojciech Puchar a écrit :
>> despite of an error message at startup is working fine, as long as
>> I'm not trying to configure it, since GConf is not working.
>
> just use windows manager like cwm or fvwm2+your own configuration.
> I for example use my 9 year old .fvwm2rc which results in cwm-alike
> environment.
>
> it's really easier to just run program you need (like openoffice
> writer, mail client, gimp etc.) instead of running bells and whistles
> like Gnome.
>
> I assume you need workstation (==computer to do actual work). Gnome
> nor XFCE nor KDE doesn't help in doing actual work.

I always try to use Gnome whenever possible, and fall back to XFCE when
it's not. When I can't use any, I fall back to mwm which is always
installed because of nedit, or WindowMaker if I'm more patient. But to
me, mwm, WindowMaker and fvwm2 is rock age as well ;-) Gnome is a
standard to many in Unix and Unix like systems. Even Firefox and
OpenOffice are build around it. Many others are build around KDE. I
think that KDE is the unofficial standard for DragonFly.

I explored OpenIndiana latelly and liked the way they split their
development in several more or less independent «consolidations»:

Package management and publishing (like pkgsrc)
The kernel and core userland
The bundle software
The X Window System
Gnome and desktop software
Installers and live media tools
Internationalization software
Server management GUI

I think that when DragonFly will reach a mature state, it will have to
maintain an integrated desktop environment (KDE or Gnome, at least XFCE
which is some minimalist Gnome) apart from pkgsrc, as part of the OS,
like OpenIndiana seems to be doing it. OpenIndiana's Gnome is a reduced
set of Gnome. I hardly conceive a modern OS without some basic
integrated desktop available, compatible with freedesktop.org
specifications.
> Check it out how is it to work normal way.
>
>> be working fine. But I couldn't raise the volume because PulseAudio
>> seems to need HAL to do it, which is severely bugged.
>
> tools like youtube_dl would make your life better - download and then
> play. And keep interesting movies on your disk so they will not
> disappear.

Thanks for this, I'll sure give it a try.
>> It's been a long time since I could run a GUI desktop with DragonFly.
>> On the other hand, I still can't get my PF firewall to work with my
>> DragonFly server. I didn't have enough time to try to get some traces
>> and report them
>
> cannot help without any precise information.
Yes, I'll have to capture some traces to get more information. In short,
the server become unstable when I block everything and then open some
ports. It also seems unstable when used with X Window. I suspect some
overflow or maybe problem with ip stacks, but I will have to dig someday
to know better.

Thanks for all the information.

SR