Unable to mount hammer file system Undo failed

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Jul 19 07:08:36 PDT 2012

>> you may postpone fsck when using softupdates. It is clearly stated in
>> softupdate documents you may find (McKusick was one of the authors).
>> that's what i do.
>
> Then, you suffer a performance hit when fsck'ing in bg.
once again - read more carefully :)

I am NOT talking about background fsck which is implemented in FreeBSD and
i turn this off.

I am talking about just not doing fsck of every filesystem after crash.
And doing it within same day but when pause is not a problem.

This is legitimate method with UFS+softupdates.

>> as someone proposed doing tests with writing random disk blocks, i would
>> rather write make a program that would flip random memory bit every few
>> minutes.
>
> If you're assuming that even the computer itself ain't reliable, how the hell

Assuming hardware never fails is certainly wrong

> could any FS be trustworthy then ??? IMHO, that's nonsense.
No it isn't. Sorry if i wasn't clear enough to explain it.