Install problems

David.Crosswell david.crosswell2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 13:38:24 PDT 2012

--------------enig75A941D3E6D4EB22C569FC21

On 02/07/12 02:47, Jasse Jansson wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Sascha Wildner wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 12:58:55 +0200, Jasse Jansson <jasse at yberwaffe.com=
> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install dfly on two different computers right now and i=
t's not going well.

>>> Case 1:
>>>
>>> A 6-7 years old laptop (ASUS A6Km) just got an "Fatal trap 12" after =
a very long time exercising the cd drive.
>>> I think the install-o-meter was at 56% when it happened.
>>> The "fault code" says: supervisor write data, protection violation.
>>> I have a picture of the screen if anybody want it.
>> Yeah, please put up the picture.
> Pix here:         www.yberwaffe.com/pix/temp/dfly-fatal-trap.JPG
>
> I have tried to install Vector Linux a couple times and the install han=
gs at random locations.
I'm on an old Pentium 4 and had no problems in stalling Vector Linux on
that or on an old nx6120 Compaq.
Their install is more complete and bug free than most.
That sounds more like a hardware problem.

> I have started to suspect overheating problems.
> I just removed the lid over the CPU and almost burnt myself.
That definitely sounds like a hardware problem that would stop an install=
=2E
Regards,

David.

> Well, I haven't been using this laptop for almost a year so the CPU fan=
 might goofing up.

> I'm still interested in hearing the result of the pix analyzing ;-)
>

>>> Case 2:
>>>
>>> I'm about to redo my server but the installer refuses to list my SSD =
boot drive.
>>> Is this some sort of silent harassment of my 40G SSD for being too sm=
all ???
>> No, the installer will offer any disks that are in the kern.disks sysc=
tl (I think we filter out some stuff like /dev/fd* and so on but certainl=
y not hard disks). Can you log in as root and do 'sysctl kern.disks'? If =
it doesn't show up there it's not an installer problem but rather that th=
e disk hasn't been detected.

>> Can you also put up the /var/run/dmesg.boot of a verbose boot somewher=
e?

> Verbose log here:            www.yberwaffe.com/pix/temp/dmesg.txt
>
> The SSD is an OCZ Agility 2 if that helps.
>
> This is no big deal for me, I think I have a spare SATA disk somewhere =
so I'll manage.

> NOTE...  I'm a *nix noob with better things to do all day than learning=
 *nix commands, but if you need help debugging this I'll be happy to help=
 out.

--------------enig75A941D3E6D4EB22C569FC21