Install problems

Jasse Jansson jasse at yberwaffe.com
Sun Jul 1 09:47:19 PDT 2012

On Jul 1, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Sascha Wildner wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 12:58:55 +0200, Jasse Jansson <jasse at yberwaffe.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm trying to install dfly on two different computers right now and it's not going well.
>>
>> Case 1:
>>
>> A 6-7 years old laptop (ASUS A6Km) just got an "Fatal trap 12" after a very long time exercising the cd drive.
>> I think the install-o-meter was at 56% when it happened.
>> The "fault code" says: supervisor write data, protection violation.
>> I have a picture of the screen if anybody want it.
>
> Yeah, please put up the picture.

Pix here:         www.yberwaffe.com/pix/temp/dfly-fatal-trap.JPG

I have tried to install Vector Linux a couple times and the install hangs at random locations.

I have started to suspect overheating problems.
I just removed the lid over the CPU and almost burnt myself.

Well, I haven't been using this laptop for almost a year so the CPU fan might goofing up.

I'm still interested in hearing the result of the pix analyzing ;-)

>> Case 2:
>>
>> I'm about to redo my server but the installer refuses to list my SSD boot drive.
>> Is this some sort of silent harassment of my 40G SSD for being too small ???
>
> No, the installer will offer any disks that are in the kern.disks sysctl (I think we filter out some stuff like /dev/fd* and so on but certainly not hard disks). Can you log in as root and do 'sysctl kern.disks'? If it doesn't show up there it's not an installer problem but rather that the disk hasn't been detected.
>
> Can you also put up the /var/run/dmesg.boot of a verbose boot somewhere?

Verbose log here:            www.yberwaffe.com/pix/temp/dmesg.txt

The SSD is an OCZ Agility 2 if that helps.

This is no big deal for me, I think I have a spare SATA disk somewhere so I'll manage.

NOTE...  I'm a *nix noob with better things to do all day than learning *nix commands, but if you need help debugging this I'll be happy to help out.