Unable to mount hammer file system Undo failed

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Jul 19 05:49:27 PDT 2012

> My main problem had been with ffs_fsck. At one point my machine was
> randomly crashing due to a bad power supply. Everytime I started up, did
> an hour of work, then crash, then 30-40 minutes for fsck to run, and an

you may postpone fsck when using softupdates. It is clearly stated in
softupdate documents you may find (McKusick was one of the authors).
that's what i do.

of course i've had hardware failure like that, and got quite a few crashes
before i was certain that it is hardware not software failure and
requested new hardware (old was post warranty).

did fsck once a day after worktime. With new hardware did fsck as well as
(just for sure) rebuild every index files, eg. dovecot indexes.

But EVEN if i would need to wait 30 minutes for fsck i prefer it over
solutions that say fsck is not needed at all.

I would say more after really stress tests of HAMMER filesystem, including
a real run of hammer rebuild at last.

as someone proposed doing tests with writing random disk blocks, i would
rather write make a program that would flip random memory bit every few
minutes.

> hour later do it all over again.
>
> I'd rather use Linux/ext3 than any UFS ever again.

i mean last sentence is a joke.

Linux ext<whatever>, and linux as a whole is most dangerous system i ever
used if we talk about filesystem.

Not once i had to recover everything from backup because of amount of
damage.

I wish you more such a luck in future, but remember that luck is never
persistent even for you :)