a couple of things I dislike about BSD

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Sun Jul 22 17:39:24 PDT 2012

1. When I run bc, I frequently edit the previous line and make a change:
15/56
.26785714285714285714
a(15/56)
.26171350240120506395
a(15/56)*45/a(1)
14.99507912917598589467
In Linux, I hit uparrow and edit the line. In DFBSD, I have to type the whole
line again. This is, I'm sure, a license issue; the readline library in DFly
is GNU readline. The bugs section says "Itâ??s too big and too slow," so why
not write a BSD version that's smaller and faster?
(The calculation relates to the upper slope of my future house's roof.)

2. less in Linux saves the screen when it starts and restores it when it ends.
In DFly it doesn't; it leaves a screenful of the file visible when it exits.
This isn't that big a deal, except when I'm looking at my PIN or password
file, which I do with less, not cat, so that it won't be left on my screen.
Not that it really matters, since I'm alone, but to some people it may.

Pierre
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa