Adding a new disk

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Thu Jan 5 15:48:41 PST 2012

On Thursday 05 January 2012 17:40:44 Chris Turner wrote:
> On 01/04/12 18:21, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > Should I turn ad0s1e into swap or expand ad0s1d?
>
> I think you should use it as a coaster or mail it to me :D

How can I mail a *slice* of a disk?

> In all seriousness, doesn't the answer depend on your intended
> use, which we know nothing about?

I have some ideas what I'll use it for, but not enough to know what
eventualities to plan for. I could make another partition for testing
filesystems.

I read in the handbook that each disk controller should have a swap space, so
I'm going to put one on ad4. Two discontiguous swap spaces on the same disk
don't make sense, so I won't turn s1e into swap.

> If you don't need it, keep it for a spare, it will come in handy
> one day.

It's a 2 gigabyte Hammer partition, which doesn't cause problems because it
doesn't get much use. I'm moving the contents to a Hammer partition that will
occupy most of 500 GB.

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do