dragonfly AHCI driver bug with "missing optical drive" update

Edward Berger edwberger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:48:18 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edward Berger <edwberger at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Subject: dragonfly AHCI driver bug with "missing optical drive" update
To: jason.mcmullan at gmail.com
Cc: bugs at dragonfly.org

I found the AHCI problem on my intel ich7 chipset core2duo machine
that  I had where a dragonfly install CD wouldn't boot up properly
when AHCI was enabled in the bios, symptoms of  the drive left in an
error state which needed to time out (before tryroot cd9660:cd0
worked) may be specific to LG/Hitachi SATA dvd drives.

Replacing the GSA-H30L dvdrw drive with a pioneer, samsung or asus
made the problem disappear.   Tested with the recent dragonfly
i386-3.0rcA cd.  I have another LG sata dvd drive that I think also
failed in the past when trying older DragonFly install cds in AHCI
mode set in the bios, that I'll try to verify the behavior and model
number sometime later this week.