Merry X-Mas and 3.0 release after the holidays - date not yet decided

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sun Jan 1 22:59:22 PST 2012

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 00:37:58 -0500
Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Matthew Dillon
> <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
> >    (2) I would like to call the release 3.0.  Why?  Because while
> >        spending the last ~1-2 months tracking down the cpu bug a whole
> > lot of other work has gone into the kernel including major network
> >        protocol stack work and major SMP work.  My contribution to the
> > SMP work was to completely rewrite the 64-bit pmap, VM object handling
> >        code, and VM fault handling code, as well as some other stuff.
>
> Talking with Samuel Greear on IRC, he came up with this suggestion for
> our release schedule:
>
> Release a new major version of DragonFly when:

	Whatever happened to the old principle for three part numbers

	Bug fix releases bump the fix level, new features bump the feature
level and zero the fix level, big changes that break backwards
compatibility bump the abi level.

	The theory being that anything that will run on X.0.0 will run on
X.Y.Z for all Y and Z and anything that will run on X.Y.0 will run on
X.Y1.Z for Y1 >= Y.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun