File corrupted on crash reboot. Can someone help diagnose?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Feb 3 11:40:27 PST 2012

:I had an email that I was writing to a few people. The computer rebooted
:itself. I restarted Kmail and found the message window empty. I cd'ed into the
:directory where it keeps autosaved copies of email being composed and found
:that it had been overwritten with zero bytes. Fortunately I could recover the
:content with undo (I've had this happen on Linux and was out of luck). Can
:someone receive the undo output and the reboot times and figure out what
:happened? I don't want to post it publicly, as it's a personal email, but I
:can send it privately to a developer.
:
:Pierre
:--
:li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

    The file might not be recoverable if it wasn't fsynced to disk.  It
    might have still been in the memory cache for the filesystem.  You
    can try running 'undo -i <filename>' but you may be out of luck if
    the file contents isn't available with any of the transaction ids it
    lists.

					<dillon at backplane.com>