Install DragonFlyBSD on 48 MB RAM

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Fri Feb 24 16:31:46 PST 2012

  Hello!
  I've been willing to try using DragonFlyBSD for a long time, but
unfortunately, I had no free PC for that purpose till recently. Now I
have an "unemployed" old PC which used to act as a router for pretty
long time. So I decided to give DragonFlyBSD a try finally.
  I downloaded the dfly-i386-3.0.1_REL.iso image, burnt the CD and tried
to install from it, but failed. It looks like 48 MB of RAM I currently
have on this machine is not enough. Strange a bit, since I managed to
install FreeBSD successfully on it.
  I tried to create a separate swap partition under GNU/Linux with a
hope that DragonFlyBSD's installer would 'catch' it and use in addition
to the system memory. But whatever I tried, I always get the same error
message:

    swap_pager_getswapspace  failed
    Warning: system low on memory+ram
    cannot open /etc/rc.subr : No such file or directory

  After this setup process does not get any further.

  So my question is: can I install DragonFlyBSD on my PC with 48 MB
RAM? And if it is possible, then what is the right way to do it?

  Thank you.
    Vladimir
-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>