What's the prognosis for KDE and XFCE?

peeter (must) karu.pruun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 08:10:07 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org> wrote:
> I currently have no usable KDE on DFly, and XFCE is installed, but fails to
> come up because of some missing library file which I don't know where to find.
> Is this likely to be fixed in the next quarterly?
>
> Pierre
> --
> li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

On x86_64 xfce4 is available as a binary package, and at least on my
Virtualbox it starts fine. What library are you missing?

There's an issue with dbus and/or gconf2 though---something you've
reported earlier---so for instance gnome applications like gedit etc
are not fully functional. I tried to debug gedit using truss, but noob
as I am didn't get too far. Xfce file manager Thunar is mostly
non-functional. On the other hand, KDE applications like kile, and the
kde file manager are fine; so I switched to using these. It would be
good to get dbus working though since many apps depend on it.

Peeter