fails to mount root

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Tue Aug 14 09:12:31 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 10:28:07 Antonio Huete Jimenez wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Patch to skip redo recovery is here:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/patches/hammer_skipredo02.pat
>ch
>
> I've built an i386 kernel + modules with that patch, and it can be
> downloaded from here:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/temp/kernel_skip_redo.tar.bz2
>
> Pierre, patch above adds a tunable that can be used to skip redo recovery
> during a normal hammer mount. You need to set vfs.hammer.skip_redo to what
> you actually need in your /boot/loader.conf. Possible values are:
>
> 0 - Run redo recovery normally and fail to mount if
>     the operation fails (default).
> 1 - Run redo recovery, but don't fail to mount if the
>     operation fails.
> 2 - Completely skip redo recovery (only for severe error
>     conditions and/or debugging.
>
> You may want to start setting it to 1 and if it doesn't mount, then set it
> to 2.
> Let us know how it goes.

With it set to 1, it boots, but there are a few messages after it says
recovery is optional. With it set to 2, it still boots. Either way, the
network interfaces are hosed. When running "netif start", it says "ifconfig:
interface *** does not exist", where the three stars are spade, heart, spade.
dmesg, whose beginning is cut off, shows that that's ^F^C^F. Various other
interfaces whose names are control characters are brought up, none with an IP
address, but with lladdr 0, 0.0, 0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0.0, and 0.0.0.0.0.0.
I set skip_redo to 1, trying to see the errors, and they aren't there. I
guess unmounting the filesystem fixed the errors.

I booted the old kernel, after doing all this, and succeeded. ifconfig looks
normal, except that em0's IPv6 address is missing. I am therefore renaming
the previous kernel to kernel, and will keep this one as kernel.skip_redo.  I
recommend keeping the patch in case this comes up again.

Pierre

--
gau do li'i co'e kei do