fails to mount root

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:28:07 PDT 2012

--14dae9cdc383807cd604c73a9e8b

Folks,

Patch to skip redo recovery is here:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/patches/hammer_skipredo02.patch

I've built an i386 kernel + modules with that patch, and it can be
downloaded from here:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/temp/kernel_skip_redo.tar.bz2

Pierre, patch above adds a tunable that can be used to skip redo recovery
during a normal hammer mount. You need to set vfs.hammer.skip_redo to what
you actually need in your /boot/loader.conf. Possible values are:

0 - Run redo recovery normally and fail to mount if
    the operation fails (default).
1 - Run redo recovery, but don't fail to mount if the
    operation fails.
2 - Completely skip redo recovery (only for severe error
    conditions and/or debugging.

You may want to start setting it to 1 and if it doesn't mount, then set it
to 2.
Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Antonio Huete

2012/8/14 Pierre Abbat <phma at phma.optus.nu>

> On Monday 13 August 2012 20:46:19 Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     Hmm.  Well, that's clearly a software bug but I'm not sure what
> >     is causing the lock to be lost.  The debugger backtrace isn't
> >     consistent.  I would love to get a kernel core out of this but
> >     it's too early in the boot sequence.
> >
> >     Antonio will have a patch for a boot-time tunable that will bypass
> >     the hammer2 recovery code tomorrow sometime.
>
> OK, thanks. Could you or he compile the kernel and put it somewhere where I
> can download it? I can't compile the kernel until I can mount root on that
> box. It's a 32-bit Pentium with multiple cores; I'm using the generic
> build.
>
> I just got it to mount the encrypted partition :) There's a program I was
> working on shortly before it rebooted, and the latest code is there, and
> only
> there.
>
> Pierre
> --
> gau do li'i co'e kei do

--14dae9cdc383807cd604c73a9e8b

"http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/patches/hammer_skipredo02.pa=
tch">http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/archive/patches/hammer_skipredo0=
2.patch</a></div>
, and it can be downloaded from here: <a href=3D"http://leaf.dragonflybsd.o=
rg/~tuxillo/archive/temp/kernel_skip_redo.tar.bz2">http://leaf.dragonflybsd=
.org/~tuxillo/archive/temp/kernel_skip_redo.tar.bz2</a></div>
skip redo recovery during a normal hammer mount. You need to set vfs.hammer=
.skip_redo to what you actually need in your /boot/loader.conf. Possible va=
lues are:</div>
ecovery, but don't fail to mount if the</div><div>=A0 =A0 operation fai=
ls.</div>
nt to start setting it to 1 and if it doesn't mount, then set it to 2.<=
/div>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
> =A0 =A0 Hmm. =A0Well, that's clearly a software bug but I'm no=
t sure what<br>
> =A0 =A0 is causing the lock to be lost. =A0The debugger backtrace isn&=
#39;t<br>
> =A0 =A0 consistent. =A0I would love to get a kernel core out of this b=
ut<br>
> =A0 =A0 it's too early in the boot sequence.<br>
> =A0 =A0 Antonio will have a patch for a boot-time tunable that will by=
pass<br>
> =A0 =A0 the hammer2 recovery code tomorrow sometime.<br>
here I<br>
can download it? I can't compile the kernel until I can mount root on t=
hat<br>
box. It's a 32-bit Pentium with multiple cores; I'm using the gener=
ic build.<br>
I just got it to mount the encrypted partition :) There's a program I w=
as<br>
working on shortly before it rebooted, and the latest code is there, and on=
ly<br>
there.<br>
Pierre<br>
--<br>