Streamline pkgsrc issues: DragonFly developer gained NetBSD commit privilege

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Sep 11 10:56:06 PDT 2011

Hi @users,

With all my work upgrading gcc, binutils, rtld, and ELF handling, I was
invited to become a DragonFly developer earlier this year, which I was
honored to accept.  A couple of months ago, the NetBSD foundation
extended a similar offer to me based on my work with Ada packages and
pkgsrc fixes.  It was a much more strict and time-consuming application
process, but I was granted a commit bit for NetBSD last week.

I've already put that privilege to good use to fix long-standing
breakage with the postgresql 8.3 and 8.4 client packages.

This situation should allow DragonFly pkgsrc breakage to be fixed more
quickly than maybe it has been in the past.  DragonFly users should
still use the NetBSD Problem Report system
(http://www.netbsd.org/support/query-pr.html) to report issues with
DragonFly packages, and hopefully provide a patch to fix them.  However,
after they report the issue, send me an email with the PR number listed,
and I'll try to get the fix in the system quickly.   Again, I'm really
talking about the situations where a patch has been created, and not
particularly where the package broken for reasons not yet known.

-- John