my old laptop bios freezes on reboot after dflyBSD installed

Edward M. unixdragonflybsd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:39:29 PST 2011

On 11/28/11 05:08, Sascha Wildner wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 03:42:07 +0100, Edward M.
<unixdragonflybsd at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

  I'm  have an issue with my old  laptop and DragonFlyBSD.
it's a rebranded compal 56-15, pentium m, 1GB ram, Ati video. The
issue I'm having is the live cd boots fine after i disabled acpi
within dragonfly. because it was stoping on a error
once  the live cd boots with acpi driver disabled, I'm able to
install dragonfly by using the "installer" pogram everthing seems
fine but once i reboot. the bios freezes on reboot on
"insyde ACPI BIOS initialized (Version 3.00.05). i have to poweroff
the laptop remove the hd and connect  it to another unit, erase
dragonfly from it and reinstall the
hd back to the laptop once again the laptop  boots again. I only need
to install an OS. All other OSes work fine on this unit except dflybsd.

Thanks! I'm not sure how i will be able to get the log from dmesg
when it is running from the live cd?
Please check out this issue -> http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/989

Sascha

     I checked it out and  sounds its kinda the  identical problem my
laptop is having; BIOS freezes while booting, keyboard is non reponsive,
i have to powerdown the unit.  Another user   suggested turning off APCI
from the BIOS, but it does not have that feature in  the
     BIOS menu; it  really has a basic BIOS menu. I ran a test  by
only   formatting the Harddisk with both HAMMER and UFS from
DragonFlyBSD's installer program to see how laptop would react when
rebooted,  the same thing  occur , BIOS freezes on "insyde ACPI BIOS
initialized (Version 3.00.05).".  I Guess the way the installer formats
the hd is  not agreeing with the way the BIOS functions, etc on this thing.

How can i install DragonFlyBSD manually like it is stated  in the bug
report by using  -C in fdisk?