How to Correctly map sernos to device names

Matthias Rampke matthias.rampke at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:43:18 PST 2011

On Donnerstag, 24. November 2011 at 11:14, Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to correctly map /dev/serno to device names.

I don't think there is a 1:1 correspondence that is stable across reboots (e.g. when I had two external HDs they sometimes switched places between da8 and da9 – which is why you should use sernos as much as possible). You can look at the minor and major device numbers though:

% ls -l /dev/da* /dev/serno/WMAVU2232228____*
crw-r----- 1 root operator 31, 0x1e110047 Nov 24 17:00 /dev/da8
crw-r----- 1 root operator 31, 0x1e120047 Nov 24 17:20 /dev/da8s1
crw-r----- 1 root operator 31, 0x1e110047 Nov 24 17:00 /dev/serno/WMAVU2232228____

crw-r----- 1 root operator 31, 0x1e120047 Nov 24 17:20 /dev/serno/WMAVU2232228____.s1

with matching devices they will be the same.

//matthiasr