Real World DragonFlyBSD Hammer DeDup figures from HiFX - Reclaiming more than 1/4th ( 30% ) Disk Space from an Almost Full Drive

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Jul 21 00:56:38 PDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:23:16 +0200, Siju George <sgeorge.ml at gmail.com>
wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Thomas Keusch
<fwd+usenet-spam2011q3 at bsd-solutions-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
nice statistics. I can not provide stats of my own, as I don't run
Dragonfly yet, so I'm more of a hypothetical user right now. But one
thing that's of interest to me is how long did the de-dupe process take?
I ran them one by one. at my own pace but the biggest two
simultaneously did not take more than 2 hrs.
So I guess 2-3 hrs would be a nice approximation :-)
My experiences were different on a file system containing a lot of data
(>2TB).

I didn't try dedup itself but a dedup-simulate already ran for more than
two days (consuming a lot of memory in the process) before I finally
cancelled it.

So yes, dedup seems to run fine but in my experience doesn't yet scale
very well to larger amounts of data.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx