Comments on pkgsrc and DragonFly

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sat Jan 8 01:13:20 PST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 11:39:54PM -0500, Stephane Russell wrote:
> Hi, thanks for your reply, which I read carefully.

You're welcome.

> Logically, I think that if a system is not defining "BSD", than it's
> simply not a BSD, it's a BSD fork at most.

BSD has been dead since the nineties. Nothing to see here, move along.

> Yes, not that a problem, but some common tag would useful here too, when
> possible. Also, like you say, Darwin is considered a BSD, but this
> doesn't say much. It tells that BSD like code "might" compile.

There is no "BSD like" code; it varies on a case-by-case basis.
Part of the problem with porting is software checking for platform
names whereas it should be looking for features.

> NetBSD's
> pkgsrc, FreeBSD's popularity and Linux's widespread innovations, might
> be the only things keeping some similarities between the BSD forks.

Code/feature sharing is happening.
I feel there is more similarity between recent *BSD and Linux systems
than between old proprietary Unices from the 80s.

> So at most, BSD forks can only be used seriously as strong servers. That's
> how I'm using dfly.

FUD. All my desktop systems have been running on FreeBSD or DragonFly for
more than 10 years.
Sometimes the lack of a good Microsoft Word alternative is a bit painful,
but with LibreOffice now unleashed, there's a good chance this matter
will be resolved relatively quickly.

--
Francois Tigeot