bug in Python wxWidgets

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Mon Jan 3 13:08:13 PST 2011

Pierre Abbat wrote:
I'm running
2010Q2 on DFly. He suggested that I file a bug report, but I'm not sure
whether the bug is in DFly or in pkgsrc. The versions are python26-2.6.5nb1
and py26-wxWidgets-2.8.10.1nb3. (The Linux box has Python 2.5.)
The machine I have available for testing this is also a bit out
of date at the moment - py26-wxWidgets-2.8.10.1nb2 python26-2.6.4nb4 -
I got the error as well (i386 if that turns out to be related).
I'd think the next thing to try would be to try a build against
python 2.5 (or maybe even 2.4)-
(see description for PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION in
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/python/pyversion.mk)

often there are issues with language changes and add-on modules with
python version changes.
First thing to do is to find the issue directly and notify the
wxwidgets people - if they have a fix or a workaround it might make
sense for a pkgsrc patch - but, possibly not
(depends on their approach / where the bug is)

probably a good idea to report you also saw the issue as well-
that shows it's more widespread - it didn't look like from
that thread that anyone dug too deep on it..
it could also be related to the swig version too - not clear on this.

but yeah - first i'd try other PYTHON_VERSIONS / ensure the pkg's
are using the latest versions. (see also pkgsrc guide ch20 , 21)
and remember - porting the software is the *fun part* !! :)

- Chris