Avalon maintainance update

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jan 14 12:10:12 PST 2011

    Avalon has been shipped back and should be online again by Monday.
    It's been upgraded with a 80G SSD and a 1TB and 2TB HD, in addition
    to the 750G Seacrate.  The other 750G HD (with the read error) has been
    removed.  The SSD is set up for meta-data caching and the bulk build
    storage has been split off from the root drive, which should make Avalon
    a lot more responsive once it comes up again.  The remaining space will
    be used for off-site backups.

    At the moment I'm leaving Avalon as i386 but I've reserved partition
    space for a future ugprade to 64-bits and set it up to boot from the SSD.
    We will want to do that at some point to make use of the RAM in the
    box (which is 8G but i386 can only use ~3G of that), but it's a bit
    complex because we'd have to switch around our bulk building machines.