Can't mount my hammer filesystem

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Feb 20 13:10:38 PST 2011

:Hi,
:
:So I deciced to format the master drive to install the system on and
:then get back my data from the slave. But, that's not cool, when I try
:to mount I get this message "Not a valid HAMMER filesystem".
:
:Did I destroyed the filesystem by installing the bootblock on both disks ?
:Can I get my data back ? How ?
:
:I tried some commands unsuccessfully :
:
:# hammer -f /dev/serno/S1PZJ1DQ508109.s4 recover /media/dd2/
:hammer: setup_volume: /dev/serno/S1PZJ1DQ508109.s4: Header does not
:indicate that this is a hammer volume

    s4 ?  Not s4d ?  Did you accidently install HAMMER directly on a slice
    and not install it in a disklabeled partition?

    Installing boot blocks would have wiped the header if you installed
    HAMMER in a slice instead of a partition.

    The hammer recover code needs information from the volume header at the
    moment.  That's the only piece of the disk it needs to be able to do
    a recovery scan.  It's a design bug that will require a media format
    change to fix.