PPTP VPN

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Sat Aug 20 05:01:25 PDT 2011

On Saturday 20 August 2011 07:03:44 Chris Turner wrote:
> looks like I misread your output - you did call pptp which called
> pppd and had some errors.
>
> This could be a few factors -
>
> 1: pptp is compiled from pkgsrc - which might mean it is
>     expecting a netbsd pppd underneath instead of the freebsd->dragonfly
>      one we have (need to check  freebsd4/freebsd-now/netbsd pppd manual
> pages / code) 2: pppd has drifted w/r/t pptp or the other way around and
> pkgsrc needs updating, (need to check pptp manual pages / code )
> 3: ...

NetBSD pptp expecting a NetBSD pppd would make sense. The pppd is in world,
but there's also a pppd package.

> To get this moving in the right direction, you might want to try
> setting up a spare freebsd box with ports or a netbsd box with
> pkgsrc, get the pptp link working, and try to figgure out the
> possible pppd and pptp differences on dragonfly that are keeping
> this from working - aka, you might need to port/update pppd or pptp,
> or pkgsrc, or 1/2/both/all, etc to the current state of affairs on
> DragonFly
> This is why I keep sources for all BSD's handy for troubleshooting purposes
> :D

I don't have any other BSD boxes. I have a Linux box.

> Alternately you might just want to try SSH port forwarding if you can SSH
> to the remote end :D

I can SSH, and there is an SSH VPN package which I'll try. It requires knowing
the IP addresses; I can get that by running the pptp tunnel on the router.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci