radvd

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Aug 17 22:49:32 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:01:17PM -0400, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Would it be worth setting this by default, since (someday, somehow)
> IPv6 is becoming more common?
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Matthias Rampke <matthias at rampke.de> wrote:
> > DragonFly doesn't accept router advertisements by default. You have to set
> > something like ip6mode="autohost" in /etc/rc.conf and some sysctl (ends in
> > accept_rtadv).

I'd hope not; automatic host configuration is not enabled by default with IPv4
either.
I'm actively using IPv6 but my machines are configured with static addresses.

And then, there's DHCPv6; if some sort of automatic autoconfiguration is to be
enabled, it would have my preference.

Router advertisements only provide the bare minimum IP+router information; DNS
server data may not even be present. Do not even thing of using them to boot
or configure hosts beyond that...
Oh, and since RA technology is stateless, that means there's no log to consult
if you want to know which IP was assigned to which ethernet port later...

--
Francois Tigeot