Filesystems

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sat Apr 23 03:09:45 PDT 2011

This post has me so perplexed, I just have to explore further.

On 4/23/2011 2:15 AM, David Crosswell wrote:
Yes, I understand that. I'm looking forward to doing something with
Hammer, but I've spoken to a couple of guys at the local Users group
who swear they'll never use anything else but ZFS
You are apparently talking about random people at some local club.  Why
is their preference of filesystem impacting your intention to try out
Hammer?    What makes their opinion so special?

- got it running on
FreeBSD and I looked at Dragonfly with UFS and Hammer and thought with
ZFS they'd have every scenario covered.
Who is "they"?  DragonFly community?

Linux is working to incorporate ZFS compatibility into the kernel,
No, "Linux" is not.  As long as ZFS has the CDDL license, it won't be
incorporated into the kernel.  People are working on putting ZFS in a
module that users can manually load in to work around license issues.
It's not a technical incompatibility, it's a license incompatibility for
which there is no solution other than Oracle changing the ZFS license.

and
even with various filesystem developers looking at substantial jail
sentences for killing their wives, they've still got an over abundance
of filesystems.
Again, why is Linux filesystem situation relevant to DragonFly?
How does Linux having too many filesystems (in your opinion) relate to
DragonFly not having ZFS?  I'm not following any logic train.

It's going to have to wait for a while before I learn C then.
Regards,
What?  There's going to be a delay in your learning C because of which
following reason?
A) Reiser was convicted of killing his wife
B) Linux has too many filesystems
C) Linux is putting ZFS in the kernel
D) Random people in local user groups swear by ZFS
E) Nobody is bothering to import ZFS to DragonFly.
F) Other?

-- John

David Crosswell.