2.10 Release schedule - Release will be April 23rd 2011

Venkatesh Srinivas me at acm.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:46:05 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Matthew Dillon
<dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>    There will be a ton of features in this release, including major
>    compiler toolchain updates, better acpi, better swapcache, PF upgrade,
>    HAMMER live dedup, and many many other goodies.

Specifically:
* gcc 4.4.5 is now the default compiler (replacing gcc 4.1)
* binutils 2.21 is now the default binutils (replacing binutils 2.17)
* PF is synced with the version in OpenBSD 4.4
* HAMMER now support offline dedup & live dedup
* The MP lock is a token now
* __The global tokens no longer take the MP lock! :D__
* HAMMER improved write performance
* Caching for more kernel slabs and thread structures/thread stacks
(faster fork() / thread creation)
* Support up to 63 CPUs on x86_64 systems
* New FIFO LWKT token contention algorithm (fair waiting)
* MONITOR/MWAIT support during LWKT token contention (saves _a lot_ of power)
* New ACPI work and PCI interrupt routing
* MP lock has been removed from tmpfs,
* Google Code-In submissions: Many zalloc users have been converted to objcaches
* __Lots__ of bugfixes

I'd love to see benchmarks comparing 2.10 to 2.8 and 2.6; we've come
very far in the ~year since 2.6.

-- vs