chlamydia inconsistency? part III

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Sat Sep 25 01:30:38 PDT 2010

On 9/25/2010 8:44, Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
Why 5 GB is too small? :-O
Of course, it is virtual disk as created by VBox. VBox suggested 2GB
which I increased to 5 GB. pkgsrc is placed withing /usr directory
what one of the pictures clearly show (/usr = 3GB size, 1.4 GB Used,
1.5 GB Avail).
Evidently I have gotton not enough space but I wouldn't be so sure the
"installer is doing the best", just contrary.
Przemysław,

yes, it is doing its best, it's just not yet good enough right now. I
will adjust the algorithm that calculates the defaults for the UFS
install before we release, but believe me, it's not as easy as you may
think because it has to work for the whole range from small disks to
large disks (which affects partition sizes recommendations) and from
little memory to lots of memory (which affects swap size
recommendations), with all combinations in between.

So yes, you've found a bug here, since the root file system should
definitely be big enough to hold all things that are installed to it and
in your case apparently it doesn't. It will be fixed.

However, why exactly pkgsrc failed in your case isn't clear from your
report, I assume because of the full root file system, but we don't
know. You could have better spent the time you took explaining that the
installer did the contrary of its best (which is neither helpful nor
true, and will likely only offend people, understandably) with providing
a better report on the pkgsrc failure (which _would_ have been helpful).

Regards,
Sascha