Weird entry in ISO

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Sep 24 06:32:54 PDT 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:07:50 +0200
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2 at o2.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:43:26 +0100
> Alex Hornung <ahornung at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 24/09/10 13:37, Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
> > > I know, and I would expect such answer. No offense please, but for
> > > how long yet such attitude will prevail in Unix community? It
> > > lingers from 80s of the last... Cenury of the last Millennium. ;-)
> > >
> > Sorry, but I simply fail to see why we need 'mc' and 'lynx' in base.
> > If someone can't use the standard unix commands, he should possibly
> > learn before using a unix system.
>
> The same pervasive attitude... You failed but I did not fail, the more
> so I explained in plain English (I hope) why the toots might be helpful.
>
> I know standard unix commands I program in shell. Does it mean that I
> should stick to them for full 50 years of my life? Pathetic...

	Not at all - just because these tools are not in the base system
does not mean they're not easily available just install them with pkg_radd
or pkgin or build them yourself (cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/mc; bmake install
clean clean-depends).

> Of course, I am not so stupid to bang my head onto concrete wall of
> chastity of Unix diehard users.

	Nobody is suggesting that these tools aren't useful - just that
there's no compelling reason to put them in the base system when they can
be so easily added from pkgsrc where they are well maintained without
distracting the DragonFly developers from developing DragonFly.

> It would be nice and convenient for ***ME*** if the DFBSD used the idea
> of system software chunks aka sets conjured up by NetBSD and OpenBSD
> teams. Why not creat one more set of useful tools with Lynx, MC, and
> other apps? CD size is big and modern networks provide fast downloads.

	DragonFly does support building ISOs with a configurable set of
packages pre-installed. Installing packages is easy once the base system is
installed so there's no particular reason to add to the base.

> "Sorry, but I simply did not fail to see that" DFBSD system might
> gain having such tools distibuted on its ISO and be the leader on the
> BSD trek of all BSD flavors. For all those like me who like to use mc
> or lynx. We have the right to breath too, haven't we?

	The problem here is that it's an endless cycle which culminates in
an install that needs a blu-ray disc and comes with everything under the
sun pre-installed.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun