SMP (Was: Why did you choose DragonFly?)

Stathis Kamperis ekamperi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 16:39:17 PDT 2010

2010/9/21 Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2 at o2.pl>:
[...]
> A lot of people ask about and got excited on the three characters ZFS.
>
> Do you see any real advantage and applications for HAMMER for such
> home configurations? With emphasis on snapshots being stored on second
> disks?
1. HAMMER is much more lightweight in terms of RAM than ZFS.
2. It does fine grained history retention, whereas ZFS snapshot-based.

[...]
> BTW. I looked over packages. It seems to me the applications are not
> "fresh". Wait a minute - I think that OpenBSD is more up-to-date
> concerning the packages.
For packages we rely on pkgsrc, the NetBSD cross-platform package
system. So, whatever packages they ship, we ship the same. The cost of
maintaining our own ports tree is way way overkill.

Also, there are categories, such as math/ software (for which I can
speak of), where pkgsrc provides bleeding edge software, even when
compared to rolling based Linux distributions (e.g. Maxima). In some
cases it even ships software that is unavailable in Debian (e.g.
OpenAxiom or FriCAS).

Last, don't forget to check pkgsrc-wip. It's like a playground, where
new versions of software are being tested before they enter pkgsrc.

Best regards,
Stathis