pkgsrc package builds for 2.8

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Sep 23 18:49:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, September 23, 2010 5:45 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :So, I expect to have pkgsrc-2010Q3 packages for 2.8 about a week after
> 2.8
> :comes out, if all goes well.  I'm not planning (unless 2.8 is delayed
> :significantly) to build pkgsrc-2010Q3 on DragonFly 2.6, since it'll
> :probably finish right as 2.8 comes out.
> :
> :If this is a problem for anyone, tell me.  You can always build the
> :packages yourself if you're staying on 2.6 for a while, but 2.8 looks to
> :be so jam-packed I wouldn't want to wait.
>
>     If the timing looks good we will wait for the build to finish before
>     releasing, and release with the 2010Q3 package set.

If we're freezing in a week and then branch 2.8 on October 1st, which
should be the same time as pkgsrc-2010Q3 is out, then I can start building
immediately.  It takes about a week for a complete build, and that gives
another week before planned release to handle any problems (of which there
always are some) that slow down the build.

This could work out well.  I'm making some assumptions - that I don't
mangle the build, that the pkgsrc release isn't delayed - but what the
heck, I feel lucky.