Why did you choose DragonFly?

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 23 04:10:20 PDT 2010

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 01:33:28PM -0600, Samuel J. Greear wrote:
>>
>> What has drawn you to use the DragonFly BSD operating system and/or
>> participate in its development by following this list? Technical
>> features, methodologies, something about the community? I suspect the
>> HAMMER filesystem to be the popular choice, but what other features
>> affect or do you see affecting your day to day life as an
>> administrator, developer, or [insert use case here], now or in the
>> future?

I've used FreeBSD at work since 4.11. I switched from Linux. I came across
the DF homepage and found it interesting, then joined all the mailing
lists and never left. What I enjoyed most over the years is the technical
discussions. I very much like the openness of the developer team to try
new ideas, and general politeness to users. Not that using DragonFly has
always been a smooth ride, especially at the start I had all kinds of
issues with it which progressively got fixed, but the community has kept
me in and Im glad because its been a worthy ride since 1.2 when I begun
using it. In particular I'd like to thank Justin for running the blog its
one of the most visited websites for me over the last 5 or so years.

Petr