chlamydia inconsistency? part II.

Paul Onyschuk blink at bojary.koba.pl
Sat Sep 25 12:12:31 PDT 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:53:33 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>     A couple of things note when messing with pkgsrc:
>
>     * Remember that /usr/pkg also tends to contain configuration
> files that you may have edited, in /usr/pkg/etc, so don't accidently
> blow away stuff you need.
>
>     * When doing major messing around with pkgsrc it might be prudent
> to create a chroot'd copy of the system and do the messing around
>       inside the chroot instead of on the main system's directory
> tree.
>
>       It's easiest to just cpdup a copy of various things into the
> chroot, and remember to do the second mount_devfs.  A more complex
> scenario would involve a mix of cpdup and mount_null null mounts to
> construct the chroot environment.
>
>       Having a lot of disk space helps matters too, particularly when
>       playing with pkgsrc.
>
> 						    -Matt

Overall, building packages in chrooted environment is way to go. On
NetBSD I used pkg_comp a lot, there is even nice tutorial [1].
Something like that for DragonFly BSD would be nice.

Using pkgsrc in unprivileged mode is also pretty safe - everything
lands in /home/username/pkg and so on. In this case some caution is
required when setting PATH.

[1] https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/pkgsrc/pkg_comp_pkg_chk/

--
Paul Onyschuk <blink at bojary.koba.pl>