SMP (Was: Why did you choose DragonFly?)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Sep 22 20:53:56 PDT 2010

:On the discussion of large SSD caches, Anyone seen these :
:
:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038493&IsNodeId=1&name=1TB
:
:-DR

    I'm a bit leery of PCIe based SSDs.  They have a ton of bandwidth but
    they are also going to be driver-dependent and not as portable as
    a SATA SSD drive.

    The SATA SSD drives are still nearly all Sata-2 (3 Gbit/sec = 300 MB/s).
    Sata-3 (6 GBit-sec = 600MB/sec) will compete better bandwidth-wise against
    the PCIe cards and we should start seeing those coming out in volume
    later this year and early next year.

    OCZ SATA form-factor drives are known for having high write bandwidths
    but the Colossus series doesn't do NCQ so the read transaction rate
    isn't as good as it should be for the price of the drive.

    The Intel SSDs do NCQ and have very good read characteristics.  Their
    writing is typically slower than the OCZs.

					<dillon at backplane.com>