firefox instability may be fixed now in HEAD

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Wed Oct 6 12:01:22 PDT 2010

Pierre Abbat wrote:
I have a 36 GB disk (actually 38 GB but 2 GB is swap), usually 45-55% full.
4.4 GB is in /home. Do I have enough room to try this?
Hard to say - you'll need enough space to store:

1) base system (~300-500MB)
2) pkgtools (not sure)
3) any packages (so FF + dependencies, or what have you)
4) if building in the chroot or jail, enough space for pkgsrc,
   distfiles, $WRKDIR, etc.
Worst case is your disk fills and you have to wipe the setup -
although - where's the other 45% of space?
might make more sense to use an area there with more
available if possible - or create a new partition for
scratch work if the space isn't allocated.
I usually setup a chroot, backup any important user files,
and then 'mount null' my /home so that my data is in synch
between the two (its a little annoying to copy files in&out)
DISPLAY=:0 is your friend in these cases if using a mixed old & new
setup - e.g:
chroot /path/to/chroot
DISPLAY=:0 <gui-app-under-test> &
the instructions in jail(8) for building jails work for chroots
as well - just chroot /path to enter instead of starting the jail..
you might need to mount devfs as well -
I'm not sure if this is needed - dont recall off hand
also - some things like gnome apps, etc. might not have their
'proper' environment (e.g. dbus, etc) to display fonts, etc.
properly - keep that in mind if testing.
Cheers & Good Luck