firefox instability may be fixed now in HEAD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Oct 4 15:34:23 PDT 2010

:I've had Firefox crash on me. What were the issues?
:
:Pierre

    A double free can occur in the nmalloc code when a pthreads thread
    is torn down (which firefox does quite a bit).  There is also a
    library call issue with libgcc that can cause firefox to exit on
    a dynamic loader symbol not found when it triesto run certain
    operations.

    Both libc and libthread_xu have to be rebuilt, but it is best to
    just rebuild the whole world (people trying to upgrade from bases
    which are too old will get caught up with syscall changes and that
    requires a full buildworld/installworld).

					<dillon at backplane.com>