Bulk buils space requirements

Siju George sgeorge.ml at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:36:13 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Justin C. Sherrill
<justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> On Thu, October 21, 2010 2:36 am, Siju George wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> I got around 250 GB free on my desktop.
>>
>> I would like to try out a bulkbuild of pkgsrc ;-)
>>
>> will that space be enough?
>
> I have some scripts that work as a wrapper around the bulk builds I do;
> this may be more than you need, but I'd like to see if they make sense to
> someone who is not me:
>
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/simplepbulk/

Ok thanks :-)

> The two caveats for you:
>
> - Bulk builds take a week on decent hardware; you're building over 10,000
> packages, after all.  The limited_list option in the pbulk config can let
> you limit it to certain packages, which you may want to do.

ok, is there a problem if a build is stopped in between? Can it resume
from that point later.
I won't be able to keep this system up for a week continously :-(

> - If you're doing this on Hammer, keep an eye on disk usage.  It generates
> a huge amount of disk activity if you build everything, and Hammer will
> happily keep track of all those changes.  I've filled terabyte disks
> unintentionally by performing multiple builds.

Is it possible to mount the /bulk pfs i made for it with "nohistory" ?
Other wise I guess I will have to run "hammer cleanup /bulk" occassionally ?

thanks :-)

--Siju