sound no longer works for some programs

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Tue Oct 19 13:57:39 PDT 2010

Pierre Abbat wrote:
What's jackd?
Jack is a sound server / time & transport sync patching setup designed
mainly for audio production / music / etc - originally designed
for linux but has since been made portable:

http://jackaudio.org/

It's nearly-OT but there's quite a bit about multimedia production /
music for linux here http://linuxaudio.org/ btw - theoretically
alot of this should work if the audio + midi layer can be made
to work - and some of it already probably does

a severly time-deprived side project of mine is trying to get
as much of this stuff tested or working on DragonFly as I can.
So far, I haven't done anything really -
jack runs. I've gotten snd (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/)
to talk to it.
although I didn't have enough SHM configured for jack,
and it therefore didn't make sound -
and dynamically setting SHM freaked out my dev box -
I've subsequently been too involved with web stuff and
to risk the crash..
(see time-deprived)

Is MIDI I/O supported in the kernel? The driver is snd_ich; does that kind of
card support MIDI?
no idea on this stuff - on my time-deprived todo list.

There's some interesting stuff going on in OpenBSD w/r/t midi -

see http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#midi for an entry point -
I think (haven't followed closely) thats mainly being driven by:
http://www.caoua.org/midish/

also, according to my latest pkgsrc builds, some of the linux 'alsa'
layer has been made user-space, so theoretically some software-side
stuff might work.

I'm overdue on some wiki edits - will retest & type something
up on what I have when I do that
perhaps anyone else interested in audio/media production on DF
should sound off here so we know who to pester :)
cheers

- Chris