firefox instability may be fixed now in HEAD

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Wed Oct 6 00:42:47 PDT 2010

Pierre Abbat wrote:

I think that when I last upgraded all my packages, it was to Q1. For me, a
package upgrade is a big event, because I don't have much free time, and I
have to see if the upgrade broke anything (I frequently find that I have to
symlink libraries, because the upgrade doesn't replace libraries that have
the same version number but are now linked against newer other libraries).
I *highly* recommend a jail or a simple chroot for this,
if you're not using such a procedure already.
Makes updates *much* less disruptive -
as you can test new packages / fix any problems before "going live" -
similarly, you can keep the old copy around in case of problems..
only downside is the disk space.. but these days -
not so much of an issue in most cases
cheers
- Chris