firefox instability may be fixed now in HEAD

Siju George sgeorge.ml at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 01:48:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Matthew Dillon
<dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

> :I'm still using 2010Q1. Should I switch to the 2.8 build of packages once I
> :recompile the kernel and world?
> :
> :Pierre
>
>    We won't have 2.8 packages until about a week after netbsd rolls Q3.
>    In fact, right now we are waiting for netbsd to roll Q3 so we can roll
>    the 2.8 release branch and start building packages.
>
>    I think the 2.6 and 2.7 packages are Q2.  The firefox in Q2 is
>    firefox-3.6.9.

:-( I guess you are on an x86?

http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/i386/DragonFly-2.7/pkgsrc-2010Q2/All/firefox-3.6.9.tgz

But for amd64 it is 3.6.8

http://avalon.dragonflybsd.org/packages/amd64/DragonFly-2.7/pkgsrc-2010Q2/All/firefox-3.6.8.tgz

> I've had good stability with the recent patches except
>    for one annoying firefox lockup which occurs w/ slashdot when entering
>    text into a text field.

Any ways for a few days I am using an amd64 current as my desktop.
Every thing was fine except Firefox the problems I faced was

1) Latency for the characters to appear on screen while typing
especially into my gmail web interface.

2) Switching from another program window to firefox takes time.

3) Freezes some times

4) Switching tabs to and from the gmail interface takes time.

These things remain as it is even after the latest build/install world

Let me try pkgsrc head there mighbe 3.6.9 :-)

thanks

--Siju