Firefox, Namoroka, Iceweasel

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed Nov 24 19:04:10 PST 2010

On Wed, November 24, 2010 11:48 am, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I'm accessing a site which doesn't recognize my Firefox and sends code
> that
> doesn't work. (It does work with Konqueror on my Linux box when I
> configure
> it to pretend to be MSIE, so the problem's not urgent.) I suspect it's
> because Firefox sends a browser ID string that doesn't say "Firefox". It
> ends
> with "Namoroka 3.6.3" instead. I'm using 2010Q1. If I upgrade (which I

As other people noted, there's ways around this, including build options.
The reason for it is that there are legal restrictions around the Firefox
name, which means it can't be redistributed without an agreement with the
Firefox Foundation or whatever it is.  We'd have to create a legal entity
to sign a document etc. etc.  I think the NetBSD Foundation has gone
through this, but it does not apply to non-NetBSD releases, to my
knowledge.