WRKOBJDIR (was Re: Hammer filesystem)

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Thu Nov 4 11:52:43 PDT 2010

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I agree that it should be setup that way on default installs.  I don't
    know why NetBSD defaults to wanting to put the work directories
    right smack in the middle of a pkgsrc source tree.
personally I'm agnostic here -
I'll have a custom build setup either way -
however:
I could see a few reasons for this -

1) pkgsrc 'stuff' stays on the same partition
2) makes it easier to port stuff - as you just cd up or
   down a few ./..'s - e.g. diff file file > ../../patches/patch-q
   cp hackedonfile ../../ for safe keeping, etc
   although, a few shell bits in ~/.profile sort that out..
3) less confusing for new folks
definately understand the desire to keep all 'build' stuff in /usr/obj too..

plus it's 'how things have always been done' (TM) right?

ok. yeah.