Something's taking up CPU time

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Thu Nov 4 09:30:31 PDT 2010

On Thursday 04 November 2010 12:11:45 Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     'ps axlH'  (H includes all threads) might give better results.  It
>     won't be sorted but you may be able to pick out the runaway.  It
>     could be firefox (xulrunner-bin).

It is indeed Firefox. One of the threads had been running 66 minutes since I
restarted Firefox this morning. (The desktop was rebooted by the UPS, which I
have to replace, but the laptop, which is running Firefox, kept running.) I
closed one of the windows and the load average went down. Why doesn't top
show the total of all threads in a process?

Btw, I had to add "w" to the ps command to see the whole command line.

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.