Bulk buils space requirements

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Nov 18 09:00:28 PST 2010

:
:On 10/22/2010 7:53, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>      If you are going to use tmpfs then configure at least 16G of
:>      swap space.  Up to 32G of swap can be configured with a default
:>      i386 kernel (and up to 512G for a x86-64 kernel by default).
:
:Was this raised recently? Seems the installer wasn't adjusted to it.
:I'll do it then.
:
:Sascha

    I think it just comes down to recognizing the utility of tmpfs and
    the need for more swap space to accomodate it.

    For the installer I think the auto-generated swap size should be based
    on the size of the disk, leaving in the minimum based on the amount of
    memory.  so e.g. we do not want to configure 32G of swap if the hard
    drive is only 64G.

    Say, no more than 10% of the disk (maybe even no more than 5%).  I'm
    not sure what the best calculation should be.

					<dillon at backplane.com>