How to test and debug Dragonfly BSD?

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:28:20 PST 2010

Hi Marcin,

first off I'd recommend you join the IRC channel on efnet,
#dragonflybsd. Most committers hang out there and it's the easiest way
to get some initial help (and probably any help).

There are a number of solutions that people use to develop DragonFly,
ranging from purely virtual using VMWare, VirtualBox or kvm/qemu
(kqemu?) to dedicated physical test machines. I personally have an
installation on my laptop and also develop using VMWare on my desktop.
As someone already mentioned, DragonFly offers vkernels which are a
nice way to develop kernel stuff without any complications as machines
not booting, etc... everything except hardware drivers, of course.

Debugging of kernel issues usually occurs via a kernel core dump or,
sometimes, by debugging a vkernel with gdb.

Hope that helps,
Alex Hornung