Memory usage increased

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun May 9 12:26:04 PDT 2010

:	Hi,
:
:	OK I think I have something concrete - running hammer rebalance on
:a freshly booted machine runs the active memory usage up past 2GB and it
:stays there after the rebalance has finished even when the machine is left
:alone for some time.
:
:	Unmounting and remounting the filesystem clears up the memory usage
:but nothing else seems to do it.
:
:	I can understand that operations like this will bring a lot of
:blocks into memory and it probably helps performance on systems with high
:filesystem activity to keep them in but surely they shouldn't stay on the
:active queue, where the memory cannot be reused, indefinitely. Shuffling
:them off to the inactive queue once they are written out (or just not dirty)
:would enable the blocks to be reused and seems to make more sense to me.
:
:--
:Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
:C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

    I don't think there's an issue there.  It's probably most meta-data
    but, again, the system is not going to try very hard to move stuff between
    queues if there is no memory pressure.

					<dillon at backplane.com>